Sunday, April 30, 2006

Relay for Life






Last night Dad and I joined Mom to support her team at the Coppell Relay for Life. The relay benefits the American Cancer Society, and it's a lot of fun. Each team has a representative out on the track from 5 in the evening til 7 AM the next morning. Dad and I didn't make it all night, but Mom and her Mom's Club friends camped out in our tent all night long. The Relay had a western theme this year, so Mom's team named themselves the Spokes Models. They had the most creative campsite there and sold peanuts and root beer out of a keg. Mom shouted "get your beer and nuts!" to the relayers all night long. There are all kinds of fun games and music, in fact Mom won me a football when she received 1st place in the biggest bubble gum bubble blown contest at 2:30 am! Wow, she's pretty talented. There's also a beautiful luminaria ceremony where hundreds of luminarias are lit in honor of or in memory of cancer victims. The Coppell Relay as a whole raised over $100,000--all of which goes to fund cancer research!! I hope next year I'll be old enough to camp out all night with Mom. Here are some pics of the event.

No comments: